Head over Heels in Vancouver

Hey there lovely people!

Today I wanted to take a second to actually start talking a bit about Vancouver, but in particular, a really amazing experience I had exploring there about a week ago.

When you think of Canada, most people think of a few things, mainly maple syrup for sure, but also some really spectacular nature. And while, don't get me wrong, I could write about maple syrup for hours, especially when it's paired with pancakes and bacon, this post is definitely dedicated to some of Canada's natural beauty.

Vancouver has been absolutely amazing! It's beautiful, easy to get around, it's really got everything. It's got a plethora of art galleries and some really beautiful architecture. It's got the city vibe that I know and love, including a pretty decent cafe culture which for any Melbournite is a definite win.
But at the same time, just a short walk/drive from the main city area, it's got some spectacular natural sights as well.

One in particular that really stood out to me was Stanley Park.

Stanley Park is the largest of Vancouvers 240+ public parks. It was opened by Lord Frederick Stanley who was the Governor General of Canada at the time, back in 1888 and one of the first things that you see when you do come in is a statue of Lord Stanley that says:
"To the use and enjoyment of people of all colours, creeds and customs for all time. I name thee Stanley Park"

My first visit of many already to the spectacular park was a few weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, after work and I was completely blown away.
I can't even  begin to tell you guys how stunning it is and photos just don't do it justice. It was about an hour long walk from my hostel which I opted to do instead of taking the bus for a few reasons, to be honest, it was mainly because I wanted to stop at Tim Hortons on the way to get an ice cream, but also because I am in love with the Vancouver streets in the middle of fall and I wanted to experience a bit more of that magic.

Throughout my life, I have heard and read about so many artists and writers saying that they have one spot, one place in the world that gives them motivation. That the nature metaphorically speaks to them and that they feel at one with the world when they are there.
Now, I always thought, to be honest, that was a touch of bullshit. That it was people seeing what they wanted to see and even occasionally just talking out of their asses because it sounds poetic. I was a bit of a skeptic.

But then, whilst walking around Stanley Park, I found it. My place.

It was a beautiful little area in the middle of the park, where I could barely believe that I was only a 15 minute walk from the city. I was completely blown away and even to this day, it makes me speechless.

I have included a few photos of my little spot to better give you guys an idea of the beauty of this spot, but now, as much as I can, I take the time to go and sit there. To refresh my mind, to write, to read and just to be surrounded by the natural beauty of this amazing city.









They even had a memorial to the Australian Air Force!










xx T.

Check out my instagram for more photos of my adventures!
Instagram: http://instagram.com/taylorbekkers


Comments

Popular Posts